Why would a food blogger who throws together a salad every morning not have them on her blog? I’ll tell you why! Mornings are hectic. Morning are harassed and mornings are not a good time to make things look pretty and take pictures like I did with this crisp Leafy Apple Salad with Creamy Balsamic Dressing.
So it happened on this particular day that Gadget Guy drove the +Two to school on a crisp and misty morning and then actually picked them up and drove them back home under the full sun. I, unbelievably, slept in till 11 am and then fixed the kids some Chicken Nuggets and a salad for him in my PJs. Yes, life can be beautiful….
And salads can be beautiful to look at and to eat as well! I like to balance my salads very carefully especially if they are served as a light lunch. Something crisp, something sweet, something chewy, something meat!
Take any mixed green leaves that you fancy. Since this salad was impromptu I just grabbed whatever I had at hand; iceberg and romaine lettuce and wished from some baby spinach leaves. Those are lovely with sweet and crisp apples aren’t they? I also sliced a de-seeded cucumber and added that as well.
You can choose whichever variety of apple that you like or have in stock. A tart and green Granny Smith will compliment this dressing as much as this crisp, sweet and red local variety did. Wash the apple well, core and slice into half or do it the other way around; slice into half and scoop out the core. Slice horizontally into thin slices. Either soak in water or rub with lime juice to prevent it from discoloring.
Measure out the mayonnaise, balsamic vinegar, sugar, salt and add the garlic clove and basil leaves to a bowl.
Mix all the ingredients together until the dressing is smooth. Yes, I’m aware that clove of garlic is almost whole, you have to fish it out before you pour the dressing. Meanwhile, you can pan fry the chicken breast if you plan to serve this as a light lunch.
Arrange the apple slices on top of the salad leaves. Make them look pretty or toss them with the leaves….the green and the red will look gorgeous anyways….
Sprinkle the black olives, blueberries and raisins on top.
Arrange the sliced chicken breast in the middle and pour the dressing on top. Sprinkle with some roasted almonds and enjoy a salad that gives you a great helping of greens, wholesome fruit and enough protein to last till dinner time!
And so yes… life can be beautiful … Especially when your car breaks down and your husband would rather do the dreaded school routine than let you drive his car!!
- For the Salad
- 2 Cups Mixed Salad Leaves- (You can use Iceberg, Romaine and Baby Spinach)
- 1 Cucumber – peeled, de-seeded and sliced
- 1 Apple – Red or Green, Cored and sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Berries or Raisins (You can choose between cherries, blueberries, cranberries etc.)
- 1 Tablespoon Black Olives - Sliced
- 8-10 Dry Roasted Almonds
- ½ Chicken breast (Optional) – seasoned, floured and Pan fried (you can also use left over meat)
- For the Dressing
- 2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar – Brown or White
- Salt to Season
- 1 clove Garlic - Sliced into half
- 3-4 Basil Leaves- Shredded small
- Wash and dry the salad leaves.
- Core the apple with an apple corer and cut into thin slices horizontally.
- Panfry a seasoned and flour coated chicken breast and slice into pieces when warm. (Chicken is optional)
- Combine together the mayonnaise, balsamic vinegar, sugar, salt, garlic and basil leaves and mix until the dressing is smooth.
- Thoss the salad leaves in the serving plate and arrange apple slices on them.
- Sprinkle the sliced olives, blueberries and raisins on top.
- Arrange the sliced chicken in the middle.
- Remove the garlic halves and pour the dressing on to the chicken.
- Sprinkle with almonds and serve.